Penny Party on Saturday
Bethesda United Methodist Church, 2820 E. Venango St. (near Richmond Street), will host a Penny Party on Sept. 24.
Doors open at 11 a.m. The event, featuring raffle baskets, starts at 1 p.m.
The cost is $7 and includes tea, coffee and dessert. Hot dogs, hoagies and soda will be for sale.
Doo wop festival at FOP
FOP Lodge 5, 11630 Caroline Road, will host a doo wop festival on Sunday, Oct. 9, from 1-5 p.m., rain or shine. The event will feature an indoor dance party, some of the area’s top vocal groups and oldies radio disc jockeys. General admission is $30 and includes food, draft beer and soda. Tickets are available weekdays at the FOP front desk from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Proceeds benefit the FOP survivors fund. Call 215-629-3602.
Support for Krasner
Some Democrats and left-wing organizations gathered to support District Attorney Larry Krasner against an effort to impeach him in the state House of Representatives.
Al Schmidt, president and CEO of the Committee of Seventy, said, “Our representative democracy is built on the foundation that the people should elect who represents them in government. That means honoring the results of a free and fair election is a sacred responsibility, especially for those who may have preferred a different outcome. There is no doubt that Larry Krasner was elected district attorney by the voters of Philadelphia. Any effort to remove him from that elected position is at odds with the will of the voters. The Committee of Seventy stands with our fellow civic leaders in defense of our democracy.”
Other liberal groups standing with Krasner included the ACLU and the Philadelphia Federation of Teachers.
Train show on Sunday
The Train Collectors Association Atlantic Division will hold its Fall Train Show and Sale on Sunday, Sept. 25, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., at Penns Landing Caterers (Sheet Metal Workers Union hall), 1301 S. Columbus Blvd. There will be 140 tables with a variety of vintage toy trains and repair parts for sale, test track, operating toy train layouts, kids activities and door prizes for adults and children. Admission is $5 per attendee or per family of two adults and all children 12 and under. Food is available on premises, and there is plenty of free parking. Call Bob at 610-872-3309 or visit www.ADTCA.com.
Register for run/walk
The St. Hubert Alumnae Association is holding its first 5K Run – 1 Mile Family Walk on Saturday, Sept. 24, in Pennypack Park. The run and walk will start and finish in the “Little City” portion of the park, on Rhawn Street near Holmehurst Avenue. Same-day registration will be open starting at 7:30 a.m. The run starts at 8:30 a.m., followed by the walk at 9. The cost is $25 in advance and $30 on the day of the event, with T-shirts available to early registrants. Medals will be given to the top three males and females in age groups. To register for the event, to sponsor it or for more information, visit the Facebook page St. Hubert 1st Ever 5K Run/1 mile Family walk. Monetary gifts can be sent on Venmo to @SH-Alumnae or checks can be mailed to St. Hubert Alumnae Association, 7320 Torresdale Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19136.
Remembering locals killed in Vietnam
The Philadelphia Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Front and Spruce streets, will host the annual name reading on Saturday, Oct. 22, at noon. Volunteers are needed to read one of (or part of) the 34 panels that honor the 648 Philadelphians killed in the Vietnam War.
Check the PVVM Facebook page for information on mobile wall displays in October and November.
Take part in Thanksgiving parade
The 45th annual Mayfair-Holmesburg Thanksgiving Parade will take place on Sunday, Nov. 20, from noon to 3 p.m. The community is invited to enter homemade floats, banners or vehicles, and organizations are encouraged to march. Volunteer banner carriers will receive six hours of community service. Apply by Nov. 6 (or Oct. 28 for new banners) at thanksgivingparade.org. Donations can be made on PayPal via thanksgivingparade or on Venmo at Mhthanksgivingparade. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Farm stand at Jeanes
The Temple University Hospital – Jeanes Campus Auxiliary will hold a farm stand on Thursdays, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., through October, next to parking lot C of the Jeanes and Fox Chase Cancer Center campuses. Call 215-728-2131 or email email@example.com.
Flea market at Roosevelt Mall
The Roosevelt Mall Flea Market will run outdoors in the parking lot at 2445 Cottman Ave., every Sunday through November. The market runs 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. More than 150 vendors will be on hand featuring new and used items, household goods, electronics and all types of general merchandise. One parking space is $30. Bring your own tables. There is plenty of free parking. For reservations, call 215-625-FLEA (3532).
A flea market will be held at Almond and Cumberland streets, behind First Class Daycare, in the parking lot every Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Vendors are needed.
For a space, call Vicky at 215-426-9654 or Colleen at 267-393-5997.
Portside Arts Center classes at Cherry Street Pier
Portside Arts Center at Cherry Street Pier, 121 N. Columbus Blvd., will host kids and adult classes.
Children’s Saturday class will be held on Saturdays, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. The class is for ages 4 to 10. Cost is $15 per class or four classes for $55.
Teen Portfolio Building Workshop will be held on Saturdays, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., for ages 11 to 17. Cost is $20 per class or four for $70.
Family Art Night will be held every first Friday of the month from 6:30 to 8 p.m. for all ages. Cost is $25 per family.
For more details or to enroll, visit www.portsideartscenter.org.
Casino trip, Christmas show
Holy Innocents Parish is organizing a trip to Tropicana Casino in Atlantic City on Thursday, Dec. 1. A bus will leave L Street and Hunting Park Avenue at 9:30 a.m. The cost is $85, non-refundable, due Nov. 1.
The trip includes a ticket to The Modern Gentlemen, a Christmas show, at 3 p.m.; bus transportation; $25 in slot play; and a $15 food voucher. The bus will leave the casino at 5 p.m.
To reserve your seat, call Cindy at 215-535-2740.
St. Jerome seniors to meet
Meetings have resumed for the St. Jerome’s Senior Group. The next meeting will be on Thursday, Sept. 22, in the school hall, 3031 Stamford St. Arrive by 10 a.m., and the meeting begins promptly at 11.
Drivers refresher course
The Congregations of Shaare Shamayim, 9768 Verree Road, will host an AARP Drivers 2 Day Refresher Course on Monday, Nov. 7, and Tuesday, Nov. 8, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. There are no tests to pass, and most insurance companies provide a discount for completing the course. The cost is $20 for AARP members, or $25 for non-AARP members. There will be a small break for lunch. A dairy lunch is permitted. Call 215-677-1600.
Learn about war general
The life and career of Gen. “Mad Anthony” Wayne, one of the most colorful and controversial heroes of the American Revolution, will be the focus of an adult learning program at KleinLife, 10100 Jamison Ave., on Friday, Oct. 14, at 1:30 p.m. The public is invited. David Hudak will be leading the program. Cost is $6. Reserve a place at the KleinLife front desk. For further information and reservations, contact Mariya Keselman-Mekler at 215-698-7300, Ext. 185 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lunch and entertainment
The Sisterhood of Congregations of Shaare Shamayim, 9768 Verree Road, Philadelphia, will be hosting its opening luncheon meeting on Thursday, Oct. 20, at 1 p.m. A salmon meal will be followed by professional song and dance performer Marcus Chaney. The cost is $30. Send checks to CSS payable to Sisterhood. Call 215-677-1600.
Book club session
The Book Club of Congregations of Shaare Shamayim will be hosting a Zoom session on Monday, Oct. 3, at 7 p.m. For further information, or to register for the book club program, call Lynn Ratmansky at the synagogue office at 215-677-1600.
VFW looking for members
Bustleton-Somerton/CTR1 Michael J. Strange VFW Post 6617 meets on the third Wednesday of every month at American Legion Post 810, 9151 Old Newtown Road. Meetings start at 7:30 p.m. If you are a military veteran who served in a designated combat zone, you are eligible to join the VFW. Contact Commander Israel Wolmark at 215-725-0630 if you would like to join the post.
Save at Boscov’s
The Sisterhood of Congregations of Shaare Shamayim announces its annual Boscov Day. On Wednesday, Oct. 19, from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m., you can shop in person and receive a 20-percent discount if you mention the Congregations of Shaare Shamayim Sisterhood at the checkout. The Sisterhood will receive 5% of the purchase amount. Call 215-677-1600.
Day trip to Valley Forge, West Chester
The Bristol Cultural and Historical Foundation is sponsoring a “Day in Valley Forge & West Chester” on Thursday, Oct. 20. Itinerary includes a riding tour of Valley Forge National Historical Park, a three-course luncheon in West Chester and an 80-minute narrated ride on the West Chester Railroad between West Chester and the village of Glen Mills. All-inclusive cost is $127. Reservations close on Sept. 12, or earlier if demand warrants it. For information and reservations, call 215-788-9408.
Author at Shaare Shamayim
Congregations of Shaare Shamayim will welcome author Andrew Kane to discuss his book Joshua: A Brooklyn Tale, on Sunday, Oct. 30, at 1 p.m. There will be a dessert buffet served. The cost is $36. Send your checks by Oct. 24 payable to CSS to 9768 Verree Road, Philadelphia, PA 19115. Call 215-677-1600.
KleinLife to honor deceased
KleinLife, 10100 Jamison Ave., will be conducting a Yom Kippur Yizkor prayer service on Friday, Sept. 30, from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. The public is invited free of charge. It is a special Jewish memorial prayer to honor the deceased. As part of this year’s program, KleinLife is producing a Yizkor booklet to be available at the service. For an $18 donation, people can inscribe up to 10 names ($2 for each additional name). Checks should be made payable to KleinLife and mailed to KleinLife, Attn: Yizkor, 10100 Jamison Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19116. Deadline for submissions is Sept. 16. Names and payments may also be submitted at the KleinLife front desk.
Loudenslager Auxiliary seeks members
The American Legion Post 366 Corp. Loudenslager Auxiliary honors the sacrifices of those who served the country, supporting and raising funds to help veterans, military and their families. The next meeting open to new membership is on Tuesday, Oct, 4, at 7 p.m. at Loudenslager, 7976 Oxford Ave.
Cruise the Mediterranean
Norwegian Cruise Line will host a Mediterranean cruise from Rome to Venice on Oct. 10-19, 2023. The trip is all inclusive with round-trip airfare, a beverage package, all meals, three specialty dinners, taxes, transfers and all gratuities. The cost for a balcony sea view cabin is $3,511 per person. For more information, contact Fillmore Travel’s Kevin Fries at 215-498-8294 or email@example.com.
South Phila. HS class of ‘68 reunion
The South Philadelphia High School Class of 1968 will hold its 55th reunion on Saturday, Oct. 21, 2023, from noon to 4 p.m. at the Waterfall Room, 2015 S. Water St. Tickets cost $60 and include buffet dinner and open bar. For tickets and more information, call Arleen Liberi [609-922-2419], Maria Leati [856-287-3734] or Stephen Michielli [267-252-2740].
The Bristol Cultural and Historical Foundation is sponsoring a fully escorted Holy Lands & Aegean Majesty cruise that will sail Oct. 6-17, 2023, featuring 10 ports-of-call. Rates, including airfare, range from $4,198 to $7,998 per person, double occupancy. Call 215-788-9408 for information and reservations.
- St. Jerome — Classes of 1971 and 1972. 50th and 51st reunions. Saturday, Oct. 8. 7-10 p.m. Maggie’s Waterfront Cafe, 9242 N. Delaware Ave. $65 in person, $75 at door. Venmo: @John-Longino. Checks: Julie Cassidy, 169 Centenary Lane, Warminster, PA 18974. Skip DiFelice (class of ‘71), firstname.lastname@example.org, or Julie Cassidy (class of ‘72), email@example.com.
- St. Leo — Class of 1972. 50th reunion. Nov. 5. Ashburner Inn. www.facebook.com/events/1082440402656601.
- St. Timothy — Class of 1972. 50th reunion. Saturday, Oct. 1. 3 p.m. Maggie’s Waterfront Cafe, 9242 N. Delaware Ave. Pay as you go.
- Abraham Lincoln — Class of 1957. 65th reunion. Oct. 16. 4-8 p.m. Cannstatter’s. Joe Nonemaker: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Abraham Lincoln — Class of 1960. Oct. 16. 1-5 p.m. Brookside Manor. Betty Harrison: email@example.com.
- Abraham Lincoln — Classes of 1980, ‘81, ‘82 and ‘83. Oct. 28. Sprinkler Fitters union hall. Denis Ucci Luke (215-500-8766) or Patti O’Donnell Adamski (215-913-5283).
- Archbishop Ryan — Class of 1977. 45th reunion. Friday, Nov. 11. 7-11 p.m. Philadelphia Quartett Club, 1075 Southampton Road. www.arhs.me/class77reunion.
- Cardinal Dougherty — Class of 1987. 35th reunion. Saturday, Nov. 5. Plumbers Hall, 2791 Southampton Road.
- Cardinal Dougherty — Class of 1972. 50th reunion. Saturday, Nov. 12. 6-10 p.m. Phoenix Sports Club, Feasterville.
- North Catholic — Class of 1972. 50th reunion. Oct. 6. 7-11 p.m. Brookside Manor. Steve Cardullo: firstname.lastname@example.org or John Garson: email@example.com.
- North Catholic — Class of 1962. 60th reunion. Oct. 22. 1-5 p.m. Brookside Manor. Ed Baker: 215-245-1283.
- St. Hubert — Class of 2002. 20th reunion. Friday, Nov. 18. 7-11 p.m. FOP Lodge 5, 11630 Caroline Road. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- St. Joseph’s Prep — Classes of 1977, ‘82, ‘87, ‘92, ‘97, ‘02, ‘07, ‘12 and ‘17. Saturday, Oct. 8. At Prep, 1733 W. Girard Ave.
- South Philadelphia — Class of 1968. 55th reunion. Oct. 21, 2023. Noon to 4 p.m. Waterfall Room, 2015 S. Water St. $60. Buffet dinner, open bar. Arleen Liberi [609-922-2419], Maria Leati [856-287-3734] or Stephen Michielli [267-252-2740].
- South Philadelphia — Class of 1965, January and June. Oct. 8. 1-5 p.m. Penns Landing Caterers, 1301 S. Columbus Blvd. $60. Gerri Sims-Jaeger: 609-634-2830 or email@example.com.
- South Philadelphia — Class of 1960. 80th Birthday Bash. Oct. 9. Noon to 4 p.m. IATSE Ballroom. Luncheon buffet, beer, wine, soft drinks and DJ Jimmy Lamb. $65. Cash bar. Giovanna Cavaliere: 215-626-7053 or Giovannacavaliere@gmail.com.
- South Philadelphia — Class of 1972. 50th reunion. Waterfall Room. Oct. 29. 6-11 p.m. $85. Open bar, DJ Frank Sisto, full buffet dinner, dessert table, cocktail hour at 6:15. David J. Wolf: firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-990-8698.
- South Philadelphia — Class of 1977. 45th reunion. Galdo’s Caterers, 1933 W. Moyamensing Ave. Saturday, Nov. 28. 7-11 p.m. $77 by Oct. 5. $85 after Oct. 6. Buffet dinner, premium open bar, DJ Lorenzo. Carmen Smith: 267-761-7873 or https://sphs77reunion.eventbrite.com.
- Visit HullNumber.com for a listing of reunions. The site is a free service enabling Navy shipmates to renew old friendships. There are currently more than 8,700 Navy ship, submarine and air squadron personnel rosters listed.